The depths of the people I love
And discovered profound beauty
Still, there remain aspects unseen
Some never to be revealed
And that is good
It is their mystery
Which fascinates me
I love them all the more for it
Grand Canyon National Park
Arizona, United States of America
Taken during travels, 1996
The Pic and a Word Challenge is a weekly creativity prompt offered Sunday mornings.
Each week I will provide a photograph of mine along with a single word. The challenge? Using the pic and a word as points of inspiration, create something — a photograph, a painting, prose, poetry, fiction, non-fiction, longread or just a few words. You are welcome to use these two elements (photograph and word) literally, thematically or metaphorically. If you create both images and words, all the better.
Many of my posts begin with searching through my photographs until I find one which evokes words. Often, the flow of words begins with just one, a starting point — a theme or a metaphor, perhaps — from which all the others spring. I also find a lot of inspiration from Jennifer Nichole Wells’ One Word Photo Challenge, where I begin with her one word and search through my photographs until I find something which, when combined with Jennifer’s word, evokes more words. I’ve combined these two methods for finding inspiration in this challenge, and hope all you amazingly gifted writers and photographers will enjoy taking it up.
- You may use any title you like.
- Your response can be words and/or an image
- You may use my image in your post, or any image that you have created.
- Place the challenge’s Pic and Word prominently in your post
- Mention that you are responding to the Pic and a Word Challenge
- Add a link to this post in your response
To help us find your response, you can also:
- Add a comment on this post to announce your response
- Apply the tag “Pic and a Word Challenge” to your post
Each week, I’ll list the previous week’s responses at the end of the new challenge. I may also share some on my social media for the blog: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr, etc.
Have a great week!
The word for last week’s Pic and a Word Challenge #2 was Attraction, along with this photograph of a woman and a hat seller in Kashgar, China:
- Attraction, by Dancing Echoes.
- Anole Attraction, by Dancing Echoes.
- Scuba Diver, by Jennifer Nichole Wells.
- Attraction!, by Ankkie.